Saturday, February 23, 2013

UPSC IAS INTERVIEW EXPERIENCE (5)




23 March 2012
06:37 PM

My Interview - 23.03.2012

K.K. Paul Board
(2nd to go in)
The Board was very cordial, and contrary to what I have read or heard about KK Paul, I found him to be a nice
guy. No grilling, but yes, no smiling either :). As you would see below, I found that quite a lot of it, stemmed from
my bio-data and very few were absolutely un-related to me personally in some way.
My Background
Electrical Engineer (2008)
Hobbies: Watching movies (fiction), Reading books (fiction)
Extra-Curricular: Chief Coordinator of the Literary Society..

K.K. Paul
1. You are an electrical engineer. What is Plant Load Factor and what is efficiency of a power plant.
2. If efficiency is ultimately the only thing that matters, what is the use of Plant Load Factor.
3. You are from Our Lady of Fatima Secondary School, what is this Our lady of Fatima...
4. You have the hobby of watching movies, fiction? What is this fiction. Aren't all movies fiction.
5. What kinds of books do you read. (Science fiction).
6. Favorite author.
7. There was a movie in 1966-67, a very famous one, a book had also been written on it. What was it? (2001: A
Space Odyssey - though I didnt know it and Paul Sir told the name).
8. Who was the author of the book. (After I said that yes, I know about the book and the movie and that infact,
the book had been written after the movie).
9. Where did the author live. (Since, despite being an British, he lived in Sri Lanka).
10. You graduated in 2008, are you working somewhere. (Since working as Income Tax Inspector)

M1
1. Why is your tie red?
2. No no, I mean, why is it looking red? (Since, I had misunderstood and said that I felt it would suit my shirt).
3. Why do we use red color as a warning sign?
4. What do you think is the difference between Indians in India and Indians in America.
5. What is the difference between Red Indians and Indians.
6. Who settled America. (which people that is)...
M2
1. What is free press.
2. In light of the clarification in the papers today regarding CAG and the coalfields issue, how do you see the
freedom of press.
3. Shouldn't we do something about the sensationalising of news...
4. But the Press Council isn't doing anything. (Since I had mentioned it).
5. Give me an example of his activism (Since I had talked about the acitivism of Markandey Katju).
6. We find that kids in smaller classes, have these events like story telling, drawing etc etc. Does it serve any
purpose.
7. What did you do as the CC of your literary society.
M3
1. We have so much atmospheric pollution nowadays from thermal power plants, what are we doing to curb it.
2. Where is this Coal Gassification being done. (Since I had mentioned the technology)
3. Are we doing anything on the Waste treatment front.
4. What about Solar. (Since I mentioned Renewable but didnt expand).
M4
1. You mentioned solar energy. What mission do we have for it.
2. What incentives is the govt. giving for them.
3. Do you know about Renewable Energy Certificates (Since I had said that I am unable to recall the specific
provisions).
4. It is said, " The Sun is still clouded when it comes to the solar industry" - What does this mean.
5. You said, you like Sci-fi books. Name some indian authors on Sci-fi.

Interviews Page 9

5. You said, you like Sci-fi books. Name some indian authors on Sci-fi.
6. I am not talking about movies. (Since I had mentioned Satyajit Ray. Thank God, M2 said that he did write sci-fi
books as well, or M4 might not have believed me :P)
KK Paul
1. Ok, one last question. Who was the director of 2001: A Space Odyssey.
2. Any other film he made (after I named the director)
3. What happened to that movie (A Clocwork Orange)
Thank You :)

No comments:

Post a Comment