Saturday, February 23, 2013

UPSC IAS INTERVIEW EXPERIENCE (20)


14 April 2012
04:05 PM

My Interview with UPSC

My interview is with K K Paul. I’m second to interviewed in morning session. 1st gal came
out within 10 min. My Interview went for 35 min. S-Me. C-Chairman. M-Member.

S : May I come in sir.
C : Come in and Sit down
S : Good morning madam and gud morning sirs
C : Yes gud morning sit down
S : Thank you sir.
C : (On seeing DAF) After civil Engg you are preparing. Have you worked
somewhere?
S : No sir. I’ve not worked anywhere. But I’m involved in agriculture with my
family when I’m free.
C : You said Agriculture right??
S : Yes sir agriculture.
C : (On seeing resume reading my hobbies louder karate and Hollywood movies)
you watch Hollywood movies? What type of movies u watch?
S : War movies sir.
C : Which is you fav war movie?
S : Schindler’s List sir.
C : What you like in this movie?
S : The character Oskar schindler.
C : This is not a war movie! There is no war shown in this movie.
S : War is the reason for this movie’s story so we can consider it as a war movie sir.
C : Tell me about character of oskar schindler.
S : He is a corrupt business man sir…. (C Interrupting)
C : Oh you like a corrupt man??
S : No sir I don’t like corruption. But his concern for people and his urge to save as
many lives as possible is a part that I like most sir.
C : How many Oscars this movie got? Which year released?
S : Answered right.
C : Can you relate this movie to the present day world.
S : (Thinking for a while) No sir.
C : You are a civil engineer. I’m giving you a clue.
S : (Still I cant find) Sorry sir I don’t know sir.
C : The lifts used in present day buildings are manufactured in scindler’s company.
S : I’m not aware of that sir. Thank you for this information sir.
C : As a civil engineer what u think about ILR project. Is it viable?
S : Explained about environmental impacts, co-ordination difficulty among states
and neighboring countries, suggested DPR should be done and proper cost
benefit analysis should be done.
C : Give your opinion possible are not?
S : On seeing both cost and benefits it is not possible for entire project but some
links can be made.
C : On what basis SC can give directives to govt like this.
S : Water can be considered as a basic amenity for life. So to protect FR SC can give
directive.
C : Is there any law for that?
S : Sorry sir I don’t know that sir.

Interviews Page 58

S : Sorry sir I don’t know that sir.
C : You told u r involved in Agriculture. There has been a continuous increase in
food grain production in past 3-4 years. What is the reason?
S : Good rainfall. Govt increasing MSP every year encouraging farmers.
Infrastructural inputs have reached to the grassroots.
C : What is the problem due to over irrigation?
S : Salinity in soil sir.
C : We are using potable water for irrigation from where does the salt comes?
S : Salt present in the soil itself gets accumulated in the surface sir.
C : How salt accumulates?
C : Through capillarity action… (Stopped and signaled for M1)
M1 : You have studied Engg. We are producing lot of engineers every year. But
Corporate complaining about engineers are not upto mark. What do you think is
the reason?
S : In our higher education system there is more focus on theoretical knowledge and less
focus on practical and application oriented education. That is the major reason for skill
deficit sir.
M1 : How to overcome this?
S : Skill training more practical oriented education system should be framed.
M2 : You are from Tamil nadu. Previously there was a demand for dravidistan demand but
now not there. Why?
S : The Dravidian movement was a social reformation movement in TN. There was a full
fledged support in initial years among people but it gets diluted due to politicization. People
took good features of movement and neglected anti nationalist features.
M2 : (Not satisfied with my answer) What made young people like you not to demand for
separate TN?
S : There was anti hindi movement in TN. People developed hatred towards hindi as it is
made compulsory. That lead to separate nation demand. But now young people are going
out and working throughout the country. There is no hatred feeling for any language.
Everybody is learning all languages. So there is no separatist movement now.
M2 : Initially there was great leaders like Rajagopalachari from TN who played a great role
in national politics. But now there is no leaders like that. Why?
S : There were great leaders after him also like Kamaraj. But due to the Dravidian
movement charismatic leaders emerged but they confined to state only. Not able to play a
greater role in national politics.
M2 : You told food production is increasing every year. But there is very high food inflation
prevalent throughout the country why?
S : It is due to excess supply of money in the society. Govt is injecting a lot of money into
the society through welfare programs that is used for basic consumption leading to
inflation.
M2 : You are right. Then are u suggesting welfare programs like NREGS to be scrapped to
bring down inflation?
S : No sir. This program is very good and it earns livelihood for many people. There should
be proper fiscal and monetary policy to contain inflation.
M2 : You watch Hollywood movies. Why not tamil movies?
S : Sir I do watch tamil movies also.
M3 : He asked me about my project which I published in international journal.
S : I explained but he is not satisfied as it is very technical.
M3 : What is sustainable technology?
S : Gave definition.
M3 : As a civil engineer how can u protect the environment?
S : Explained about green building concept.
M3 : there is one organization known as PPSC in TN do you know what it is?
S : Sorry sir I don’t know sir
M4 : (Lady Member) your optional pub add. Which is the administrative reform you want to
implement throughout the country?

Interviews Page 59

implement throughout the country?
S : Morality of the bureaucracy should be increased. Bureaucracy should be made sensitive
to the needs of the people. Grievance redressal mechanism should be strengthened.
M4 : What do you know about ARC? Do they talk about this.
S : there were 2 ARC. Second ARC talk about ethics in governance.
M4 : In which report and what are the details.
S : Sorry Mam I don’t know the details. ( I was addressing her as MAM but it is considered
to be informal L)
C : You are a civil engineer. How the life of a gravity dam is reduced due to silting?
S : Due to what sir I cant hear properly.
C : Silting. Ok there is a paper and pencil in front of you take it and draw a gravity dam.
S : ( I was trying)
C : Give me that paper. (He got it from me and drawn it showing silting water and
structure) Now explain me why this structure will fail.
S : I explained but initially he is not satisfied but later I got into the answer which he
expected. He helped me sometimes. 5 min on this.
C : You studied polity. Tell me what is parliament.
S : President, Lok sabha and rajya sabha.
C : When is president election due?
S : 2014 sir (Thinking parliament election)
C : No its in 2012.
S : Sorry sir I made a mistake it is in 2012.
C : How president is elected?
S : Through electoral college and told who all constitute tat.
C : Tell me the formula for calculating the vote.
S : Told tat also.
C : You missed something. Is this election direct?
S : No sir this is indirect election through a single transferable vote.
S : While I’m explaining that and coming close to finishing C stopped.
C : Ok Thank you. Your Interview is over. You can go.
S : Thank you sirs. Thank you madam. (and I left)

Pasted from <http://sugendersblog.blogspot.in/2012/04/my-interview-with-upsc.html>

No comments:

Post a Comment